Pharmaceuticals & Health
Irish Manufactured Pharmaceuticals
Ireland is a world-leading centre of excellence for the manufacture of pharmaceutical and fine chemical products. The Irish pharmaceutical sector, which comprises pharmaceutical, fine and specialty chemical and biotechnology companies, is one of the world’s largest exporters
There is a substantial indigenous industry of over 100 companies engaged in pharmaceutical and chemical related activities including the development and manufacture of human and veterinary medicinal products, development of enabling technologies, drug discovery and delivery, and contract services.The sector includes fine and specialty chemical development and manufacture, including starting materials, intermediates and active pharmaceutical ingredients for the pharmaceutical sector, plant protection products and disinfectants.
Key sector characteristics:
- Ireland is the No. 1 European location for international pharmaceutical investment.
- Over 30 FDA approved pharma / biopharma plants are located in Ireland.
- Eight of the top 10 global pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies have integrated manufacturing operations in Ireland.
- Six out of ten of the world’s top selling drugs are now produced in Ireland.
- In 2009, exports of pharmaceutical and medicinal products exceeded @19.5 billion making Ireland one of the largest net exporters of pharmaceuticals in the world.
- Using the broader pharmachem measure, exports in 2009 exceeded @47 billion, or 56% of all Irish exports.
- The pharmaceutical industry in Ireland directly employs over 24,000 people with a further 25,000 employed in the provision of services to the sector.
- The following areas have been identified as representing growth opportunities for the sector over the next five years.
- Niche generics/generics-plus: Manufacture of value added generic pharmaceuticals.
- Biopharma: Early-stage drug discovery/drug delivery, enabling technologies.
- Pharma contract services: Development, analysis/testing, regulatory affairs, niche manufacturing, IT.
- Gastrointestinal (GI) disorders: With an internationally recognised clinician community conducting world class research, coupled with the presence of a cluster of highly innovative Irish companies active in the sector, Ireland is increasingly becoming recognised as a centre of expertise in gastroenterology and immunology.
- Convergent medical technologies: Development of new product offerings based on the convergence of multiple technology platforms involving collaboration between innovative pharmaceutical, medical technology, diagnostics and ICT companies.
If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us